While packing for an island destination, I am sure your will pack your swimwear, flip flops, sun protection, shorts and cotton t – shirts. However, if you really want to enjoy the Seychelles, you need to carry a few more things…
1. Renting a car is the best way to explore the islands of Praslin and Mahe. Remember to carry your driving license.
2. Carry your own medication, especially a pill to help you tide over sea sickness if you do intend to hop from one island to another. We did not see many pharmacies on any of the islands.
3. Invest in a snorkel, mask and fins and take them along. Snorkeling is great off the coast, especially in La Digue.
4. Beach shoes are a must have for most beaches where snorkeling is good; there are plenty of sea urchins and broken coral to hurt your soles.
5. Street lights are far and few. Carry your own flashlight, especially if you want to watch the sunset at the beach and then walk back.
6. Finding good vegetarian food is a challenge. Your best bet it to either eat at the restaurant of a five star hotel or stay in a self catering accommodation and cook. Carry your salt, pepper and spices in little packs…buy some vegetables from the local market and enjoy your meal …your way!
7. The weather forecast is very unreliable in Seychelles and the locals never trust it. If you are visiting during the wet months from November to January, keep a light weight poncho handy cover yourself and your backpack.
8. There are plenty of hiking trails on the island that lead to pristine beaches. It’s best to traverse these paths with good walking shoes.
9. Do colourful pretty birds interest you? If they do, carry your binoculars. We saw the black parrot, the blue headed pegion and even the little humming bird!
10. If you don’t want to invest in an under water camera, buy a water proof pouch for your phone.
The corals and fish are so close to you that you would love to capture these precious memories.
Bon voyage…. enjoy the vacation!