Ankur and I spent the last weekend in Singapore… a weekend full of big city fun… fine dining, shopping and tech related attractions. While it was Ankur’s first visit to Singapore, it was my third visit to this little island nation. I went just because I wanted to feel like a kid at the Universal Studios. I wanted to meet Shrek and Ankur wanted to dance with the Minions.
Super charged and excited, like two little kids, Ankur and I reached the amusement park on a Sunday morning and expected it to be very crowded. It was crowded, but much lesser than what we expected it to be… possibly our lucky day! We spent one crazy day at the park!
- The park opens at 10 am. Reach early and be at the gates by 10 am. The rides are most crowded around noon.
- Tickets can be bought at the counter or online. There are three types of tickets, regular, express that allows single fast entry to all rides and express that allows you to multiple access to each ride. Express is not valid on a handful of rides in the park (which are slow, baby friendly rides). If you don’t mind spending extra, recommend buying the express, especially if you want to try all the rides and see everything. The express line has a waiting of 3 minutes where the regular line had a waiting of 35 minutes for some rides. Buying the express that allows multiple rides isn’t worth the money … there are only a couple of rides that you want to do the second time and the extra money that you spend does not justify it.
- When you swipe your ticket and enter the park, pick up a map. Also, pick up the schedule that tells you which character will come out at what time and gives the schedule of shows, which will help you plan your day better.
- If you are a group of adults, start with the adrenaline pumping roller coasters at the Sci-Fi arena. Transformers ride can’t be seen from outside but is possibly the best 4-D experience you will have.
- If you have little children and senior citizens with you, head towards Madagascar, followed by the Land Far Far Away (Shrek) as that has much easier rides and make your way around the park in the clockwise direction.
- It gets really hot in the open. Use lots of sunscreen and protect yourself with a cap. There are plenty of indoor rides that will give you the required break to spend time in an air conditioned environment.
- Dress up comfortably for the park – no flowing dresses of lose footwear. It’s best to wear shorts and walking shoes… we walked over 10,000 steps during the day!
- Carry a bottle of water and keep refilling it at water stations – you don’t have to spend money buying water every now and then.
- There are plenty of restaurants that serve good food. Most of them have at least one or two vegetarian options.
- Eat little before you go to the park and during the day. Roller coasters can make you very nauseous on a full stomach.
- Rides that we loved the most – roller coasters and Transformer ride (try getting the first seat for this) at sci fi, roller coaster at The Mummy, ariel view ride at the Jurassic Park, 4D show at the land Far Far Away.
- Universal studios is on the Sentosa Island, which has a lot more to offer – beach, cable cars, laser shows and fine dining. If possible, spend a night on the island and enjoy the rest of it the next day.
- You can exit the park and re-enter as well, obviously, on the same day. Remember to keep your ticket safe and get a stamp on your hand if you intend to do so.
- There are plenty of lockers available for rides that do not allow any bags of cell phones. The lockers are safe and free of charge for 45 min. Use them if you are going as a family and enjoy the rides together.
- You need to stand in a line to get your picture clicked with the characters. The lines move pretty fast and you are allowed to take only a couple of pictures. Decide your funky post before your turn comes!
Have fun everyone … let the little kid in you come to life!!!