Love and marriage are interesting topics to discuss, across cultures and countries. We had one such interesting conversation with a young man in Zanzibar, who was surprised to know that the ‘arranged marriage’ set up still exists in India. Well, it sure does…and it isn’t a bad way to meet the love of your life, if you have the freedom to make a decision. Touch wood, six years and counting…Ankur and I are happy souls!
On the same note, here are some titbits about how Ankur and I got together….
1. We had a typical arranged marriage about six years ago.
2. We hadn’t spoken to each other before we met. We had exchanged messages and emails and had chatted over the digital media, but we had no clue whether either of us had a voice as squeaky as a mouse.
3. Travel was the common interest that connected us and made us fall in love.
4. We spoke in May, met in June, committed to the relationship in August and got married in November.
5. We were more excited about planning our South African safari and road trip (our honeymoon) than we were about shopping for our wedding.
6. We got married in the typical traditional North Indian style, with a lot of colour, music and dancing.
Do you have any views on finding the love of your life, the ‘arranged marriage’ way?